Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Meal Planning

I usually have a menu planned out for the month.  I like to search for new recipes and throw in a new meal at least once or twice a week.  I write out my grocery list and go shopping.  This allows me to know exactly what I'm making, when I'm making it and I already know that I have everything for it!  Makes life sooooo much easier!

Well, usually it does....

Sometimes, my hubs and my boys have special requests (me: eyebrow raised... whadda ya mean you want pizza? I'm making green chicken enchiladas!!)  Okay, sometimes they save me from the kitchen  so I can't complain too much about it...  When this happens, I either omit a meal or scootchy them on down a day... or twooooooooo.....  okay, sometimes we are bad!   :o)

Anyway, one of the things that I like to do to make sure that we are successful at following the menu is that I take special requests from my hubs and my sons.  It gives them something to look forward to so that they aren't craving something else!

A few of my family's favs are:

Tacos
Chimis
Baked Salmon with veggies and rice
Chicken Penne Pasta with Spinach
Creamy Chicken Soup with Biscuits
Lasagna
Chili Rellenos
Enchiladas
Wiener Schnitzel
Tostadas
and Tuna Casserole which is what I made last night, which is....

Always, alwaysalways a hit!

I'm happy to share this super easy recipe.  Sorry for the crappy measurements but I usually just throw it all together! 





 Chop up celery and green onions







Put the chopped celery and green onions in large bowl and add:

2 or 3 cans Tuna - depends on how meaty you want it.
About 4 tbls of mayo - depends on how creamy you like it (light is fine)
2 to 3 tbls of sour cream (light is fine)
1 tbl of mustard

I would have added some thawed out peas and grated
carrots but I didn't have any... booooo :(







Mix in cooked egg noodles.
Add salt, pepper and thyme to desired taste.




Transfer the mixture to a 13x9 glass baking dish




Slice up a couple of zucchinis







Grate cheese, I used colby jack, sorta kinda a lot... 






Sprinkle about half (your desired) cheese over the
noodle mixture,
Lay out the zucchinis and sprinkle a little
salt and pepper on them,
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the zucchinis







I then bake it for about 15 minutes (just heating it and melting
cheese at this point)
Then, I change it to broil for about 5-ish minutes (just until
the cheese is golden brown)


YUM.  It's a hit.  If your kiddos like veggies, they'll love this!







Cheers my friends! :O)












No comments:

Post a Comment