Sunday, August 12, 2012

NAIL ART: Watermelon Marbling


Nail art is just another way for me to express my creativity.  I have been a licensed nail technician for 17 years now.  I've only worked in a salon for 6 months, (and will never go back!)... LOL! but I stay current with my license because I have continued to do my own nails throughout the years, as well as family and friends.



This type of nail art is called Marbling.  It's a bit of a process and a bit time consuming but it's fun because you don't ever know what kind of design you'll end up with!!




WHAT YOU NEED:

Small plastic container filled with water, toothpicks or orange stick,
tape, paper towel, nail polishes, nail polish remover.





STEP ONE:

 Polish your nails a base color.  I only did one coat. When it's
done, place tape around your nail for easy clean up.





STEP TWO:

Choose your nail polish colors and place one drop at a time
in whatever pattern you want the colors to be. You must
work quickly because the polish starts to dry.  Also, you will
have to experiment a bit because not all colors work!  These
are the colors I wanted to use originally but the white was
drying out too fast, not allowing me to make my design.
You will see in the next photo that I had to use different colors.





STEP THREE:

With a toothpick, manipulate the colors to create a design.
Here I just pulled the polish to the center. Usually it's much
neater than this but I was on a caffeine high and empty stomach!
Steady hands are KEY!!
As you can see I replaced the white polish with the green one.


These are the polishes that I used:







STEP FOUR:


 Carefully dip your finger into an area of the design that you like best.
While your finger is still dipped in the water, use a toothpick
or orange stick to remove the excess polish that is still floating in the
water.  Once you've scooped it all out with your toothpick
or orange stick, slowly pull your finger out and see your design!
May take several tries! This was my third try! I
recommend that you use fresh water every time! ;o)

Carefully remove the tape around your finger and clean up
any extra polish that may have gotten on your skin.





STEP FIVE:


I added a few watermelon seeds (Again, sorry for the shakey
hands!) Add a top coat and your done!  I'm a bit
disappointed that the photo does not show how vibrant
the colors really are.  But this gives you a general idea of
how it turns out.





Here is another design I did using the marbling technique, black polish
and gold polish, and I added a few zebra stripes at the bottom.
(You can dip two fingers in at a time if you'd like!)








Have you ever tried this technique? If so, what did you do different to make it easier?





No comments:

Post a Comment