Monday, July 30, 2012

Refashion a T-shirt

Hello Monday...

So, my hubs gave me a couple of t-shirts to donate a few days ago and I thought, why not try to refashion these?  There are so many ladies that refashion old, ugly t-shirts into adorable tops!  There's a site I used to go to that belonged to a young girl that refashioned just about EVERYTHING! She made bikinis, underwear, dresses, skirts and shorts out of old t-shirts! I tried to make a bikini last year but I felt that the t-shirt material was too thin and there was not enough support for my girls... I'm having trouble finding her blog as it's been over a year but I did run across another gal that has made some really cute tops out of t-shirts.  Her name is Christie at Sew What's Happening?  Check out her site!



I'm not going to post a tutorial on my refashion because like I said before, I am not an experienced seamstress and I was kinda just figuring it out as I went.  I tried to follow Christie's photos but there are a few extra steps that I had to take...




Here is a before photo. I was going to leave it just like this but then I realized that there were a couple of large stains towards the bottom.  But I didn't want to cut it there because then the shirt would be too short.  I decided to bleach the bottom half!! Yikes! I've never done that before so I didn't know what to expect!






I wasn't sure how long to leave it soaking so I did a quick "google" and found that if you leave it in too long, the bleach will start to eat away at the fabric.  I figured I'd better take it out.  After I washed and dried it, this was the result.







Not too bad.  Those crazy stains didn't come out but at least they're not so noticeable.  Looks like it's suppose to be that way! Haha!  Here is the finished result...


















I cut off the sleeves and the neck, sewed it all up and added an elastic band to the bottom.  I wore it with a white tank top underneath because I don't like my bra straps showing.  I'm not "in love" with the results but it turned out ok!

Have you ever refashioned a t-shirt?






No comments:

Post a Comment