Sunday, January 20, 2013

Disconnected

We were about a block away from home yesterday when I realized I left my phone charging on the kitchen counter.  We were on our way to a movie and then to get some dinner so I knew that I'd be without it for quite a few hours.  My hubs offered to turn back... We were only one block away.

I had a quick flashback to when there were no cell phones.  We'd leave our home and be completely disconnected from everybody that wasn't with us.  I also thought about how that made it possible to be completely, undividedly, dedicated to the person/people you were with... no distractions, no alerts, no posts, no emails, no games nudging you to take your turn....

"Nope," I said to my hubs.... "I.don't.need.it"

My cousin's hubby told me about a fun exercise he heard about... Go out to eat with friends and everyone puts their cell phones in the middle of the table.  Whoever gives in and picks up their phone first, also picks up the tab!! LOL! I thought that was a brilliant idea!  My hubby, yeah, not so much...



Getting back to last night... The movie we picked was Jack Reacher starring Tom Cruise.  I don't love the dude but I really do enjoy his movies.  So, then, I guess that means I like him...?  Oh and I do have to make a note that I checked the parent guide in IMDb and I wish I would have read it more carefully because I really felt guilty about taking Ethan to see that. (Ethan is 10yrs old)  About half-way through the movie, I made him dim the light on his 3DS and play video games for the rest of the movie... (and no, nothing distracts him when he's playing video games so it was fine)  I thought the violence should have been scored more at an 8/10 not a 6/10.   Lesson learned... ok!  No spoiler here really, just that the character, Jack, talks about how he is completely disconnected from everyone and everything.  He lives his life, day by day with no cell phone or computer and feels that he is the one who is "free"... and the rest of us are not free at all.  I gotta say, in my opinion, he's right!

Okay so I wouldn't want to be completely disconnected like Jack Reacher.  I like my phone and I like my computer and I like feeling connected to some people on a daily basis.


Question:  Being that I was only a block away from home... if it was you, would you have turned back for your phone?  Have you ever been "disconnected"?  For how long?




2 comments:

  1. I would have to say it would depend on what is going on in my life at the time. Was Court traveling? Where were the kids? Anything important going on with the family??? On a regular day with Court and the kids at my side... sure I would have left it home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! If my hubs and kids weren't with me, I would not have left it at home! :O)

      Delete