Sunday, July 29, 2012

Canyon Lake

The end of summer vacation is nearing! So bummed! I feel like I ran out of time to do things with my boys.  The weather forecast for yesterday read that we were going to be having thunderstorms.  The weather is kind of tricky in Arizona.  They might say we are having a storm and it'll sprinkle for about 5 minutes and it's done.  Mother nature loves to leave us longing for more!

I'm an Arizona native so I know that a few clouds doesn't mean a thing! We packed up some lunches and headed to Canyon Lake.  It's been years since I've been there on a weekend.  It's gets packed pretty quick and we got a late start but we were fortunate enough to score the last picnic table under one of the ramadas.

Watching the kids splash around in the water brings back so many memories of my childhood.  My parents used to take me there before my little brother was born (we are 8 years apart). I've always loved the water and I was never fearful of venturing out a little deeper than I should.  My mom would get so scared so my father decided to tell me that there were sharks in the lake and they would get me if I went out too far. That story stayed with me until I was 19yrs old when my hubs (he was my boyfriend at that time) laughed and told me there were no sharks in this man-made lake! I felt like an idiot.  Daughters always want to believe what their daddy's tell them.........


 We arrived around noon yesterday, just in time to eat our lunch.  It was slightly cloudy until about 2pm.


More clouds started to roll in and it started to get a bit windy.  The boys didn't seem to mind at all because the waves picked up too!


After a couple of hours of swimming and unsuccessful fishing, we decided to head out when we spotted some lightening east of us.  I was hoping to get some good shots on our drive down the windy mountain before the rain caught up to us.


My goal was to get some daytime lightening shots.  I pulled over when we got by the beautiful Superstition mountains just outside of Canyon Lake.  The sky to the west of us was glowing light but the sky to the east of us was quickly turning black.

I waited here for about 10 minutes, hoping for some lightening........ Score!





Drove down a little ways and ran across this little church... it was starting to rain, lightly, but the rain drops were huge!


You can see here that the rain was sweeping its way across the Superstition Mountains as they are hardly visible anymore!

Monsoon season in Arizona is so beautiful.  Besides the Fall season (which doesn't last very long), I have to say monsoon season is definitely my favorite!

What's your favorite season where you live?

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful shots you acquired! I always loved the lightening shooting across the sky. We used to take our chairs out front of the house and sit and watch the show. My favorite season in Everett, WA is, a toss up between spring and Fall. The fall has such clean, crisp air full of Cedar and Spruce tree smells. Spring here is so beautiful as there are flowers and plants and green everywhere. The air is so sweet with all the aromas of lavender, sweet peas, roses and many other flowers. Sitting at the beach by a fire pit and watching the waves roll in. Nothing like it. Love you, xoxox

    ReplyDelete