Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Back Label Recipes

How many times do you notice a recipe on the back label of a jar or can and think to yourself, "That would probably be pretty good!" .........but you never end up trying it?  I have done that a gazillion times!!

I posted a monthly menu calendar on my old blog so if you had the chance to see it, you know that I have at least 30 different meals to cook.  Even then, we grow tired of it!  For the past few months, my hubs and I have been talking about why we haven't tried these back label recipes and followed it up with a review.  So today I was writing up my grocery list and noticed we had a couple of cans of Cream of Broccoli by Campbell's Soup.  Why I originally bought them? I dunno! I can't remember! BUT... I peeked at the back and I decided to try that back label recipe!

Here's the label with all the info on the recipe: (click to enlarge)




CHICKEN   BROCCOLI   DIVAN

1 lb. fresh broccoli, cut into spears or 1 pkg (about 10oz) frozen broccoli spears, cooked and drained.
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
2 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Condensed Broccoli Cheese Soup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

1. Place broccoli and chicken in 9" pie plate. Stir bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl.
2. Stir soup and milk in small bowl until mixture is smooth. Pour over broccoli and chicken. Top with cheese, if desired. Sprinkle with bread crumb mix.
3. Bake at 400 degrees F. about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbling.




Results:  It was pretty good!

The label states that each can serves 4 people.  There's four in my family and we had my nephew over for dinner last night so I had to use two cans and double my batch.  Good thing I did because we ended up with only one serving left!! My sons, nephew and hubby really liked it!  This is not something that I would want to cook once a week though.  I think I would tire of the broccoli cheese taste.  I did do a couple of things different.  I can never follow a recipe to a tee...  I put more milk in the soup than the label called for.  I wanted it a little more runny than thick.  I also added more butter (1/2 stick).  Next time I think I'll add more bread crumbs for more of a crunch!!  I served it over white rice and although I added broccoli to the mix, we ate them all so I added a few fresh ones just for the photo ;o)

Have you ever tried a back label recipe? I'd love to hear about it!



Follow me by joining my page or follow me by entering your email... You'll never miss a post! :O)



No comments:

Post a Comment